Wednesday Creative: Super Sweet Toffee Art Installation

An art installation good enough to eat?

Artist Skye Kelly is the creative mastermind behind this sugary delight that she titled ‘Creep (Stain)’. Using only an overhead fixture and sticky toffee, she lets it drip as it pleases onto the gallery floor.  Onlookers can watch as the gooey toffee makes it way from the top of the fixture down to the puddles, watching as it changes.

“The concept behind her installation is the evolving nature of the toffee as it turns from a warm liquid to toffee crystals—allowing the audience to study the constant change of its appearance and form.”

Ummm, yum? Not sure if I would be able to keep my paws off of this piece of art.

images via

72 comments
  1. Hmmmmm. Don’t think I’ve heard seen this kind of art. I guess you need a special kind of gallery to even display it.
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have an artist friend that will love this.
    You Matter! Smiles, Nancy

• mamanne said:

Yeah, I’m conflicted here. On the one hand it does look cool, and I see the “artsy” potential in the designs it makes as it hardens on the floor. On the other hand, how much sugar (and food potential) has been wasted here?

2. There is something incredible about mixing food and art. :) I think that is the key of getting our kids to eat veggies. Great photography! Keep doing what you are doing. :)

3. Sharine said:

who would have though that sticky toffee would be so beautiful :)

4. Carrie said:

Beautiful pictures! Though I can’t imagine what the cleaning up will be like!! =P

5. koekalooks said:

Reblogged this on imsocheap and commented:
    When I was a kid, I used to fantacise about swimming in a pool of golden syrup. I bet Skye Kelly had similar fantasies about toffee. Then she grew up – and actually did it.

6. April said:

That’s kinda cool, but what I’m wondering, whose going to scrape that off the floor?

7. pretty…but….who’s gonna clean that up when the exhibit is over?

8. Interesting piece! A number of things now happening. Mental stimulation. Sugar rush. Sweet tooth. Thanks for sharing.

9. Reminds me of Making syrup by cooking brown sugar and watching it melt.

10. Wow! That is really cool…never seen anything like it. I wonder how do they keep ants away from it though?

11. safetyprevention said:

Beautiful Artistic Design without much external influence- use to love toffee when I was a kid!!

12. Foster said:

For brevity’s sake.
    DE
    LISH.

13. Awesome installation! I was at an Open Studio where a guy used coffee for his paintings. Interesting use of medium!

14. I can hear in my mind the sticking sound my feet would make walking around this. I can smell it–that candy smell. Childhood dream, raining candy.

15. It looks cool, but…total waste of sugar and think of all the food it could’ve been made into for STARVING CHILDREN.

16. who knew toffee art could create such controversy…

that aside, this is definitely one of the most interesting and unique installations I’ve seen. brava.

17. mowanling said:

wonderful!

18. Larva said:

very very cool!

19. Wow! Have always though food is pretty bus this one is a winner. And how could you take pictures so calmly? If I was there, half of that toffee would be gone in no time! :D Let it run into a lunch box and take it home – to make art in my stomach ;))))

Great pictures!

20. Mouse said:

Beautiful photos! I get the feeling though, that somewhere out there sits a very tired janitor.

21. personally id not call it art but its very interesting none the less…….strange though i would call the photographs art……very pretty……….

22. Love this! Toffee has always been my favourite, now even more so!

23. If I didn’t know this was toffee I’d still be intrigued! It just looks so pretty and kind of mesmerizing when you think about the gloopy movement. I love this kind of art! It just seems so interesting to see in a gallery (and I’m a sucker for aesthetically pleasing art!) Despite my love for the piece though I know if I saw it in person I would want to run through it! I’d regret it afterwards but don’t tell me you wouldn’t be tempted? :D

24. Whow, looks awesome!
    Are there HANDS OFF-signs around the.. uhmm.. piece?

25. The art itself is very cool – but I also really like the way you photographed the display and the observers. Awesome photos!

26. JPanda said:

That is some serious amount of toffee! :D

Thank you for sharing!

27. Wild and exquisite. A few weeks back a tenant in the apt building where I live tried to make toffee–they nearly burned their kitchen down and left the building full of smoke. Tough stuff that toffee.

28. caffeamore said:

Wow, this looks DELICIOUS! And it would taste great with a coffee. I love your site, such great ideas!
    If you like, check out my blog at caffeamore.wordpress.com</a

29. This reminds me of the 80 year ‘pitch drop’ experiment at the University of Queensland – toffee is sweeter though, has viscosity that is speedier at room temperature, infinitely more attractive and captivating to look at/watch and even if the installation itself is not considered ‘art’ then these photographs surely are – stickily beautiful.

30. Would be great idea for kids in science too. Thanks for sharing

31. ellalaughs said:

Genius! And it looks beautiful.

32. Jane said:

This is amazing! I think I would have to stick my face under this to taste it! Your photos are spectacular! Thanks for sharing this type of art.